Friday, January 6, 2012

Shaker Lemon Pie

Shaker Lemon Pie is quite possibly one of the easiest and best lemon pie's that you could make.  I like that you use the entire lemon, and there is no waste.  It also calls for very basic, simple ingredients. 

You start with 2 large lemons.  Slice your lemons thin and remove the seeds.  I have found that it is much easier to work with firm lemons for this.  You can put them in the fridge ahead of time or even in the freezer for a bit before slicing.  Mix with two cups of sugar and allow to sit covered for 24 hours at room temperature. 



The next day, you will add 4 eggs and a couple of tablespoons of flour and butter.  Pour into a prepared pie crust.  Top with a second crust and bake until done. 



This time, I tried a new recipe that calls for zesting the lemons before slicing.  This recipe comes from Saveur Magazine.  Again, this is about simplicity!  So, if you don't have a zester or don't want to take the time to do so, I'm sure you will enjoy your pie all the same.  The first time I tried this recipe, I skipped zesting the lemons.



I have used Meyer Lemons to make my pie.  They have a sweeter and slightly less tart taste and a thin skin.  However, you can use regular lemons from the store.  I would recommend a lemon with a thinner skin since you are using skins and all. 

And, I have come to find out that using store bought crust is just fine!  Who has time to make homemade crust?  Okay!  I'm sure that someone does, and if you are reading this and the answer to the previous question is yes...just keep it to yourself! 

This pie makes a great ending to any meal from casual to something special.  It is certainly the unexpected and simple.  I hope you will try this for yourself and find it to be as tastey as I have!  Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment